Monday, May 17, 2010

The Layer Float














I chose this experiment because I wanted to see the three layers of the honey, oil, and water separate into their own layers and to see the three objects the coin, grape, and cork go to each of the layers.

The reason why this experiment worked is because, when I put the honey, oil, and water in the jar, in this order, I was putting the heaviest to lightest weight (density) of each. They each formed their own layers.

When I dropped in the coin, grape, and cork in this order, the coin is the heaviest to the cork being the lightest. Each object went to the layer of the same weight, (density) as its own.

Honey and Coin - heaviest- went to bottom
Oil and Grape - a little lighter - stayed in the middle
Water and Cork - lightest - stayed on top.

www. kids-science-experiments.com

No comments:

Post a Comment